About Our Primates
The majority of primates living in the wild do so in large family groups and at Monkeyland they live in the same way.
We do not collect species. We care for rescued primates and do all we can to give them as natural a life as possible in the habitat we have access to. At present, Monkeyland cares for over 550 primates which are spread across 9 species – listed below:
- The Black and White Ruffed Lemur (Varecia variegata)
- The Ringtail Lemur (Lemur catta)
- The Black Howler Monkey (Alouatta caraya)
- The Bolivian Squirrel Monkey (Saimiri boliviensis)
- The Geoffroy’s Spider Monkey (Ateles geoffroyi)
- The Tufter or Brown Capuchin (Cebus apella)
- The Red-backed Barded Saki (Chiropotes chiropotes)
- The Vervet Monkey (Chlorocebus pygerythrus)
- The White-Handed or Lar Gibbon (Hylobates lar) – Monkeyland’s only lesser ape species.